Having a central control point which serves as a managing tool for all things electronic, either in your home or your office has always been way too futuristic to conceive or accept. The mechanism involved with linking various high-tech gadgets together as well as appliances was “ludicrous” just a few years back, how time flies.
You may have heard of IoT many a time, perhaps on TV, a random conversation with friends, on the internet, or you are so up to date that you actually live in a space where IoT is put to use daily and serves as a real-time platform for your appliances. The mundane traditional operating systems are gradually giving way to a more powerful programming language that can unify and modulate our everyday electronics in such a way that physical human presence is unnecessary.
For the sake of the newbies and cave people lets redefine the terms- what is IoT? The famous IoT means “internet of things” so what’s all the fuss about it? The IoT is an extension of connectivity between electrical devices that allows unlimited interaction between one device and the other. This connectivity utilizes the internet and various hardware sensors that enable remote monitoring, data collection and control of multiple devices from a central point. The Internet of Things evolved from the convergence of wireless technology and sensor networks which enables automation.
Iot is used in different ways such as home appliance automation, sensor networking, control system automation, and others. The technology has been integrated effectively in various industries both corporate and commercial. As the IoT trend expands it is imminent that we are advancing into IoT autonomy and there are currently plethoras of IoT software that can be used to ensure a smooth transition, providing extremely helpful and innovative platforms for connectivity, making our daily tasks seamless and superfast. The Internet of things software is the support software that basically builds a link in an IOT system, it facilitates data flow, communication, functionality, and management of various devices linked to the system. With this system, data can be transferred from one device to another over shared network.
Now that we have gotten the nitty-gritties out of the way, let’s take a look at 16 most innovative IOT software that is currently making major waves in the tech industry.
- Windows IOT
The globally renowned operating system has its own IOT embedded connectivity that allows easy convenient automation processes which covers a broad network. Development of a blue print and maintenance of devices is made easy with its easy-to-operate tools and components. Windows IOT has three split types called: The core, Enterprise, and Mobile. The system is well suited for industrial tech devices which require an advanced level of automation.
- Used in managing devices that requires low memory footprints.
- Gives developers access to a flexible and vast operating system
- Easy integration with cloud platforms
- Microsoft Azure
The software Microsoft Azure is only one of the most dynamic cloud computing platforms that systematically allow its user to construct, test, and deploy a network system on the cloud. Its major application is in form of PaaS (platform as a service) or alternatively as IaaS (Infrastructure as a service). This provides a level of technical independence that allows one to develop an app that functions as the system.
- It offers over 100 pre-built internal services open for IoT projects
- It allows for the development of blockchain solutions
- It is efficient and reliable for big data analytics
The brain box of Software takes dynamism to a whole new level with its high-tech operating system. The Mindsphere is an open source cloud-based system developed by Siemens for all forms of everyday data collection and analysis. It enables the creation of smart apps for use in literally any digital ecosystem.
- Widely recognized for its uses in collecting metrics, geographical data and the likes
- It is fully automated and reliable for use in the automotive sector
- The inbuilt MindConnect Iot T2040 and the MindConnect Nano allows you to network your assets in a most secure way by integrating them in.
- Device Pilot
The beauty of the device pilot is in its highly flexible, user-friendly interface that allows non-technical persons to understand and operate dashboards with comprehensible analytics. Its patterns and trends are easy to monitor. It is one of the most efficient customer friendly IoT systems.
- Highly efficient for data collection
- Used to effectively manage a wide range of synchronized devices
- Effective for data and performance management
- Provides real-time visuals of patterns and trends
- Highly interactive platform with bespoke visual tool that allows integration of different IoT components
- A well-stocked dashboard with the most convenient management systems
- Well optimized command buttons for synchronizing modules from various sources
- Enables increased productivity with singular management button
- Tessel 2
The improvements in IoT software has given rise to more complex internal systems. Tools such as the Tessel are mostly utilized by high-end developers for robotics as well as eclectic platforms. The development of futuristic AI tech and robotics project requires a merging system where all activities and commands can be centralized; this is the priority of the Tessel software.
- Provides an advanced plug and play platform for the prototyping of robotics
- Operates a completely wireless system with built-in Ethernet connection for workability
- Comes with a wealth of open-source modules with diverse functions
- Internet of things Analytics
The IoT analytics has a number of functions such as big data collection and analysis and is well suited for data reporting systems. It easily integrates with virtually any device for the purpose of data mining with low marginal error. It has a friendly user-interface and is used with internet-enabled devices and sensors. This specific software works within the locality.
- High performance data management features
- Multifunctional and easy to work with
- Low marginal error
- Allows developers to build as many dimensional models as needed
Many businesses today are applying IoT technologies in their establishments to ease the process of work and to unburden data management using the most reliable cloud application system. Applicare provides leverage which enables seamless organization and dispersing of information. Applicare manages, monitors, troubleshoots transaction processes from anywhere.
- Easily customizable dashboards
- User friendly
- High performance
Large companies today heavily invest on management tool that ensure effective management of database, and a sure return of investments. From banks to fortune 100 companies, the need to become a clear market leader through simplified processes and tools in one of the essentials of every large organization today. iGrafx excels at transforming data collection, mitigating risks, restructuring operational models, and improving compliance. The general usefulness is the automation of business processes.
- Highly beneficial for high risk businesses and compliance
- Easy to navigate
- Efficient in configuration management, performance management, and visualization.
- Android Things
The Android operating system is a prominent player of the IoT application ecosystem owing to the fact that Android is the current most popular operating system for most smart phones today. The next level IoT app comes with highly developed platforms that only require low memory support while managing a web of ARM-based structures simultaneously.
- Supports devices with insufficient resources and low RAM
- The software comes with built-in WIFI and Bluetooth systems
- It leverages the standard Google assistant for its operations.
- Ormuco Edge
Most companies want an edge over their competitors and most times this need can be met with technology that not only meets modern standards but has futuristic potentials. This ensures longevity and creates a more stable solution with limited liabilities. The Ormuco Edge PaaS systems retains decentralized solutions in a most unique way. It is User-in-motion organized as well as supports a 5G upgrade. It can be developed to automate commands and deploy applications by itself. The software conducts self-healing and self-management utilizing AI technology. It comes with an inexhaustible amount of features.
- Efficient for application development, Big data analytics, configuration management
- High-level connectivity
- Applicable in areas of data collection, data and device management, prototyping, and visualization
This software provides an asset management platform which is applicable in a wide variety of multi-level sectors such as manufacturing, transport, mining, education, energy, health, productivity, hotels, and many others. It comes with a highly dynamic machine to machine communications system, programmed with the capacity to provide companies with automated management services to improve productivity.
- Comes with training support on documentations and webinars
- Deploys Cloud, SaaS systems and supports mobile android and IOS
- easy to use and has a 24 hour customer service support
- Arduino (IDE)
There isn’t a lot of IoT software that can support a large number of projects like the Arduino tool. The best part about this software is its ease of use, so whether you are a professional developer or a newbie you can always work your way around it, with a ton of tools and instructions to guide you.
- The software supports the C and C++ programming language
- Its high performance is owed to the Java written Integrated development editor (IDE)
- All codes can easily be uploaded onto the microcontrollers from the IDE
- It provides a consistent web editor for ease of use.
Like every conventional IoT system the MQTT comes with its own technical peculiarities. This messaging protocol is a high-tech communication system used with TCP/IP protocol for networking devices. It is not just a communication system but also provides security parameters such as TSL and SSL to ensure smooth secure transmission on any computing system.
- The renowned publish-subscribe tool provides a platform for the messaging protocol which it utilizes in effective communication and networking.
- It is highly suited to IoT devices that are low on resources due to its low power usage and small size.
- It works effectively for devices with low bandwidth
- It is one of the most popular home automation IoT systems in the market due to small code foot print, ease of use, and simple design.
IOTs that provide very powerful APIs used in storing data as well as retrieving stored data from other connected IOT devices over a secure HTTP or Local Area Network connection is always high in demand. This is precisely what Thingspeak brings to the table. Its Ruby programming language is quintessence of IOT solutions and is suitable for all forms of data analysis and distribution. This software has dynamic functions and works across multiple industries and is renowned for its application in many complex IOT projects. Thingspeak functions well with devices that have very limited bandwidth and requires a bit more technical knowledge than just the basics.
- Collection of sensor data is made easy for developers
- Its Matlab inclusion allows developers the ability to process and analyze different forms of data effectively
- It allows automated programming based on the logic acquired from progressive data
- There is a large community of Thingspeak users across continents and in many platforms that can provide a decent tips and walk-through for developers who want to start using the software for projects and documentations.
The project dynamic analytic tool offers convenient solutions for data collection and processing, leveraging available resources to provide the next level of cloud based asset management system. Developers find it quite easy to navigate through this software as it is easy to use.
- Predix software enables seamless connectivity between devices and machines to share and analyze data and to forestall potential glitches
- Ensure limited liabilities and maximum control enhancing the efficiency and visibility of all network systems
- It pushes businesses to gain traction in the market through effective data management
- Improves accessibility to much more complex and futuristic projects
Brian is a social media professional and a champion of content development with a track record of creating and implementing successful social media programs and research designs. when he isn’t writing, he is probably catching up on Anime.